Car repairs gone wrong result in fire call to St. George condos – St George News

St George Firefighters rolling up hoses after a vehicle fire in St. George, Utah, Aug. 6, 2022 | Photo by Nick Yamashita St. George News

ST. GEORGE — A person doing car repairs received an unlikely surprise Saturday when their small white Chevrolet S-10 truck burst into flames, resulting in a 911 call.

Fire damage to a small Chevy truck in St. George, Utah, Aug. 6, 2022 | Photo by Nick Yamashita, St. George News

At about 4:13 pm, the St. George Fire Department was dispatched to the Stratford Condominiums at 455 S. 1100 East, where the front of the vehicle, parked by the private community pool, was fully engulfed with flames.

st. George Fire Captain Scott Peacock reported, “We tried to get the hood open, but it wouldn’t open, so we had to cut it. It (the fire) went out really good once we got here.”

According to Peacock, the person was doing repairs on the engine with the fuel system. The vehicle was jump-started and went up in flames immediately.

“He thought it was a problem with the fuel injectors and figures by how fast it went up there was some leftover fuel up in there,” Peacock said.

The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes. No other structures, vehicles, or people were involved. There were no injuries.

This report is based on information provided by fire personnel and first responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Photo Gallery

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2022, all rights reserved.